Thursday, September 6, 2012



I would predict that I have the least amount of aviation knowledge of anyone involved in aviation!  I am behind the curve and have a lot of ground to cover.  With that being said, it is one of the reasons for my involvement in and fascination of aviation.  

Prior to 2010, I had flown commercially many times, but I had only participated in General Aviation once.  I was 8 years old and traveling on a road trip with my mother and older sister.  While we were driving, we passed a sign that said, "Airplane rides - $50."  I went for a 30 minute flight, and had a wonderful time.  

Fast forward life into 2010....  I was working on a project in Salt Lake City, Utah, and developed a friendship with the person I was working for.  His son is an instrument rated private pilot, and his good friend is an instrument rated, multi-engine private pilot.  His son flies a Cessna 182, and his friend flies his Cessna 310.  During that year, I was able to fly with each of them a few times.  One of my favorite trips was to Driggs, Idaho, to a place called Warbirds Cafe.  It made me realize that there was a whole new world just waiting to be discovered.

So, why Eastern Michigan University?  I did not get involved at Eastern because I was looking for a career change.  The brief introduction I had with aviation made me realize I wanted to inquire into a new hobby.  I thought that one day, it would be fun to have my own airplane, and I would want to be as safe as possible.  There are more cost effective ways to get a private pilot's license than while earning a degree at EMU in Aviation Flight Technology.  I have chosen this route to become the safest and best pilot I can.

I returned to Michigan on Thanksgiving, 2010.  I had applied to EMU that summer, and started classes in January, 2011.  My flying began in March, 2011.  The title to this blog sums up my life since January, 2011.  I have learned an incredible amount since then, and it is just the start!!  The time has FLOWN by, and I am in my last semester of classes.  I will have some flight training to finish up before I finish my degree; however, I will be finished with required classes on campus.

My future goals have not changed much while attending EMU.  I did not intend to change careers, as I have maintained working full-time while taking classes.  I am always open to new ideas, so if something interesting comes up, I will evaluate it at that time.  I would, however, like to work part-time as a flight instructor when the time comes.  This would allow me to keep my skills sharp.

The day I earned my private pilot license, Bill Clark told me he was issuing my "license to learn."  He couldn't be more correct, and that learning will continue for the rest of my life.


Here are a few pictures taken during my time in Utah




2 comments:

  1. Great pics! Looking forward to reading your intro :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting, to stick with one career while going to school for a hobby. Will this be your first college degree? Protip: When you edit a post, your readers will not be notified of the changes. For the sake of the assignment, you might want to add a new post saying "see updates to previous entry".

    ReplyDelete